As a Senior Real Estate Specialist, I work with seniors to help them manage their homes in the best way possible for their individual situation. In talking with seniors many of them want to stay in their homes but start to worry that they are not as safe as they would like to be living on their own. With my resources from the Senior Real Estate Council, here are some tips that have helped my clients make their homes safer. These are simple ideas that improve safety and usability for seniors. Contact me if you need resources on handy workers that can complete these small jobs.
Ten Easy Steps for Making Your Home Safer and More Comfortable
There are many simple changes you can make to your home that can greatly increase its comfort and safety. Some of our favorites are included here. And, most of the products needed for these modifications can be purchased at your local hardware store.
* Install handrails on both sides of all steps (inside and outside);
* Secure all carpets and area rugs with double-sided tape;
* Install easy to grasp shaped handles for all drawers and cabinet doors;
* Use brighter bulbs in all settings;
* Install nightlights in all areas of night activity;
* Add reflective, non-slip tape on all non-carpeted stairs;
* Install lever handles for all doors;
* Place a bench near entrances for setting down purchases and resting;
* Install closet lights, as well as adjustable rods and shelves;
* Install rocker light switches; consider illuminated ones in select areas.